Excited to hear a call for the interview from the company you have been dreaming of all along? After conquering the initial stages of resume shortlisting and aptitude tests, it's time for you to prepare and ace the interview.
There exist a plethora of different types of interviews such as informational interview, telephonic interview, behavioral interview, individual or group interview, stress interview, case interviews and many more. The structure of the interview depends on the role that the concern organization is hiring for.
1. It's a Conversation, Not Interrogation
Both an interrogation and a job interview are about finding the truth. However, in an interrogation the truth-finding aspect is one-sided, while in a job interview, it is equally important for the candidate to evaluate the job and how the job can help in his or her career growth as it is important for the employer to assess the candidate. It is more about work culture and personality of the candidate instead of facts which can be found on the company website and resume.
2. Prepare the Basic Job Interview Questions
Prepare for the basic interview questions as no interviews prefers a candidate who is not prepared. Here's a list to get you started.
- Tell me about yourself
- What is your greatest strength?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Why should we hire you?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What would you like to accomplish in the first 3 months?
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- What are your salary expectations?
- Do you have any questions?
3. Know the Organization
Every organization is different from and they have different expectations from the candidates. However, all organizations expects the candidates to research and learn about the organization and the position they are applying for. You should research and learn
- Learn about the role, responsibilities and key skills required for the particular job position (source: job description document)
- Learn about the organization and their goals (source: organization website)
- You should also research about the organization culture from websites like Glassdoor. However, do not consider 1-2 reviews as they might be biased.
- You should have a clarity about the Compensation and benefits, job location, appraisal policy and growth opportunity in the particular job position and in the organization.
- You can leverage your professional networks for more insights.
Sometime, you need to reflect and analyze the interviews you've already appeared. Try to understand, what aspect of the interview made you feel nervous or uncomfortable? After each job interview and even the mock interviews, note down the points in the interview where you felt you could have done better. Those are the points to work for!
If you get freaked out when interviewer asked a question you hadn't anticipated. That's normal! Request for a moment to think about the answer. This is absolutely alright.
5. Be Always On-time
Always try to be at least 15-20 minutes early for a physical face-to-face interview. This would allow you to relax and familiarize yourself of the new environment. You can also get your paperwork done if required. Reaching late to the destination could possibly lower your chances of getting selected as no employer would like a worker who is late, even for his interview. For online video conference interviews, join at least 2 min before the scheduled time.
6. Another Few Important Things
There are few more things that you need to take care while appearing for job interviews.
- Be formally dressed and well groomed
- Always have a smile during the interview. (However, it is not that easy!)
- Never bring up your issues faced in the previous experiences (if any)
- Do not share any inaccurate and wrong information
7. Finally, Practice
Job interview is scary because you do not have a script. Every interview is a different setting. Practice! Appear for mock-interviews to develop interview strategies, to improve your communication skills, to reduce stress and build confidence before an actual job interview.
In addition to all the things mentioned above, try not to be anxious as that might lead you to lose your confidence. Keep all your necessary documents ready and recheck your microphone, internet connection, video conference platform one day before for online job interviews. Keeping all these things in your mind will surely assist in going through the process of the personal interviews.